Thursday, July 26, 2012

DIY Framed Bow Holder


I absolutely love making stuff for little girls, especially my little priss pot. I wrote a bow holder post a few weeks back showing some of the girls’ hair bow holders I had painted.



I make these pretty often as gifts or to sell, usually personalized, but there’s another bow holder I make that is super cute but really easy. Here’s a tutorial on how I made a framed bow holder using an old wood frame, ribbon, and paint.

First, I found a plain Jane frame from a flea market for $2.50. It’s important that your frame be sturdy and wooden to ensure it will hold up under stapling, none of the cheapos at Wal-Mart. That's why I got a better frame with a very much dated picture for just as cheap at the flea market.



I then removed the backing, glass, and picture from the frame.




I used acrylic paint to paint the frame. If this had been a darker frame or had a slick finish, I probably would have used a primer on it first. I painted the front in a lime green color.



The edge of the frame I painted white.





I used brush strokes down the edge of the frame to make the stripes. This is such a cute and easy way to add character to art pieces.



I then took a pink paint marker and drew swirlies along the frame. For some reason, even with the spray lacquer coating it, they don’t show up well in the pictures.



I sprayed the painted frame with a clear spray lacquer. I use this for everything! I love it! It takes about 24 hours to dry completely, but it dries to the touch in about 20 minutes. Sorry, no pictures of the spray painting. I wouldn't want my mess of a patio shown in my pictures.

Once dry, I cut my ribbon the length of the frame. I then trimmed the excess ribbon. I got a roll of this ribbon at Hobby Lobby when it was half off, making it $2.00. Ribbon goes on sale there about every other week.



I used a standard office stapler to staple the ribbon in to place. I made three rows of the ribbon to allow room for the bows to be displayed.





 





And there you have it! A cute girls’ hair bow holder that is cheap and easy!  



Linking up with:

live laugh rowe
It Pays To Be Cheap   

  52 Mantels   Chic on a Shoestring Decorating
Pin It

3 comments :

  1. This is adorable Lizzie! Wish I had had something like it when my girls were little.

    Jeannine @ The Concrete Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  2. What lucky little girls to have a mom to make special things for them. Your DIY framed bow holder is adorable. Really well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this idea, so simple but a great way to organize while still having said organization be cute!

    Marlene
    Info site for Movers in San Antonio information

    ReplyDelete